If you think your country’s government-prescribed academic curriculum’s aren’t enough to quench your thirst for knowledge, and if you think you have what it takes to be away from home for a long time, then you are one of the few who deserve to avail of an international scholarship. Many countries accept international students including Canada and the United States. Most students and people in general would like no more than to set foot on these countries as for most, these countries represent tremendous opportunity.
Canada is a country that currently welcomes international students and workers to further bolster its growing economy. There are several government-sponsored and privately-sponsored Canadian scholarship programs for international students such as:
- The Canada-CARICOM Leadership Scholarship Program – available only for CARICOM-member (Caribbean Community) countries.
- Canada-Chile Leadership Exchange Program – Available for students from Chile.
- Emerging Leaders in the Americas Program – for students from Latin American countries and also from the Caribbean.
- Concordia University International Undergraduate Awards – which are scholarships offered to qualified international students to study in Montreal’s Concordia University. This is open to international undergrads.
- University of Calgary International Scholarships – an opportunity for international students to study at the University of Calgary.
- University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowships – open to graduate students from anywhere in the world.
- University of British Columbia – open to outstanding undergraduate students worldwide.
- York University International Student Program – for international students who wish to study in Toronto.
For the chosen few who wish to avail of these Canadian Scholarship opportunities, all that’s needed to do is to consult the local Canadian Embassy or coordinate with your country’s Department of Education.
After getting the details needed and you think you’re qualified, contact your chosen program. Next, these programs will finance your academic needs but not your day-to-day expenses. Ensure you’re financially capable before going further or even beginning the endeavor. Also, have a plan B. Consult more than one program as international studies is a highly competitive area with very few slots.